Playing Robocraft with a World of Tanks Mindset.
In between studying code and getting ready to move, I have been playing a variety of games(as seen in my neverwinter post) and, today I decided to pick up Robocraft, which is on Steam in early access. The games allows users to build their own vehicles out of a variety of blocks types in a construction system similar to Minecraft or Space Engineers and battle against other players in a 10 v 10 skirmish similar to the standard battle mode in World of Tanks. Now, I have seen some absolutely crazy robots, even at tier 1, however, I figured since this game had a similar control layout and rule set as world of tanks with some of the same map conventions, I decided to play the game like a more creative WoT.
To that end, I quickly assessed that most players went gun heavy with weak structures and had almost no concept of map control. This influenced me to try and construct a vehicle that could hold ridge lines and choke points that could otherwise just be rushed through. I modified the default vehicle(Top) to test my armoring theory and then build a new vehicle from scratch based on what I learned from the default vehicle.
On the default vehicle, I replaced most of the front blocks with armored blocks, especially around the forward guns, These blocks can take twice the damage of the standard blocks so I could better survive long range fire, which is often sporadic in nature and hardly accurate. I also added blocks around the first turret to give more physical blocks to shoot through before it could be knocked out. The battle results for this vehicle were quite favorable as it could shit position well while withstanding more direct fire. However, there was a pronounced weakness to flanking as the wheels were exposed. It also had no real defense from aerial attacks.
With these deficiencies in mind, I designed my scratch-built vehicle with track guards for the drive wheels that were light enough to no effect my weight but, would at least give me a chance to withdraw if I got flanked. I also increased armor on the front and added a pair of fixed guns since I intended to engage frontally whenever possible. This new build has lost some of its predecessor’s speed but is definitely more survivable. The bottom picture shows the unit after engaging in a fire fight with 6 enemies in 2 separate engagements. In both cases, the armor allowed me to survive long enough to withdraw or to ward off the enemy largely because they couldn’t score telling hits at longer ranges while I was able to knock off modules at the same distance. It is not all good news however as the vehicle’s cross country mobility has suffered some and I can actually get my track guards stuck on steep terrain. I will be trying to iron this out later.
"We Aren’t in Kansas Anymore"
So, I’ve been playing Neverwinter some more. I wanted to at least get something to level 60 and it happened to be a my Control Wizard….who paid a visit to the Aboleth Sovereignty here. What a wonderful view we have here, high above the world. As nice as this is, this post isn’t just to marvel at a wizard’s pilgrimage to the heart of madness.
I will be taking an extended break from all of my activities, including this and Youtube. I am currently working my way through course work for web design and coding in the hopes of getting more marketable skills. My interactions with the photographic industries have been mostly negative and extremely un-fulfilling. I have become very disheartened with the whole thing. Since I am no longer interested in picking myself up to get wrecked once again, I will be looking for new employment opportunities and new trade skills.
I will come back to doing this stuff full time maybe, someday? I have no real idea. For now though, it will be the home of instagram and w/e random crap that happens.
Space Engineers “Patrol Cutter”
I got too frustrated with other things today so I did some creative mode space engineers and made this “little” large ship, the first time I have built a large ship in game.
This was a free build that I did on the fly so there are not exact measurements for the ships size but it has a cramped interior stuffed with 4 small reactors, a cargo bay. medical bay, gravity generator and Gyroscope, all with 2 layers of armor surrounding it on all sides(except for where the large thrusters are(I possibly compacted the stern design a bit too much). There is a command deck above the main interior space that house the cockpit module and 2 passenger seats. I used the cut down cockpit because I wanted to retain usage of the first person camera for the sake of immersion.
The ship is currently lightly armed with 4 Gatling turrets and a single missile launcher. I wanted to make a conveyor but, my computer had other plans so there currently isn’t an automated cargo system but, since this is creative mode, it hardly matters.
Currently I am experiencing difficulties with what may be thruster damage. since I tried recessed thrusters. It is either that or Inertial damage.When I maneuver the ship, random parts crumple or get blown off entirely. I also saw this with the rescue ship I will be tweaking this ship further.